Sunday, June 27, 2010

Harvest Moon is sometimes too realistic :(


Sexy fanart of Vaughn by http://supermellowoman.deviantart.com/

Everyone knows a first impression can make or break a relationship. This is true of not only people but everything we encounter in life. My first forte in otome games was Harvest Moon. I bought Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life when I was in fifth grade. I believe my first crush on a non-living being was Cliff (More Friends of Mineral Town). Harvest Moon and I have shared a complex relationship ever since. I must admit, I kinda suck at video games. For people like me, there are walkthroughs. If you’ve ever played a Harvest Moon game you know the name Freyashawk. She is an angel sent from heaven (or the just the Harvest Goddess) for us less adept players. My current DS affliction is Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands. I am currently in year four and married to Vaughnie-poo. He kicks all the other HM bachelors’ asses, sorry Cliff. He’s a silver haired tsundere. Oh yeah, and he wears a cowboy hat. Before I gush too much I need to warn you. Vaughn and I... we’ve been having some marital problems recently. Despite talking to him daily and his heart being full red, I’ve been feeling like there was something missing. Exhibit A: Vaughn’s birthday. According to Freya’s guide, I should enter my farmhouse after six p.m to trigger an event with my hubby. I enter, nothing happens. Thinking I screwed up earlier by giving Vaughn a birthday gift, I restart from the beginning of that day. By the way, Vaughn’s birthday was on the first day of Spring when Chen’s shop was open. That means I resowed all of my seeds all for an event where, I’m sure, Vaughn might have two lines of text. This isn’t called “commitment”, it’s called “stupidity”. By the way, I never got an event with Vaughn. I pouted for a while but soon forgot. Then came Spring Harmony Day. I did my business and entered my house around 6:30 pm. Shockingly, Vaughn didn’t acknowledge the occasion. I even checked the fridge to see if some cookies mysteriously showed up. No dice. I finally gave up and went to my bed. And, lo and behold, I got some text from Vaughn. When I woke up, I immediately checked my rucksack. Cookies. Vaughn has redeemed himself and we won’t have to attend marriage counseling with Dr. Trent.

2 comments:

  1. Harvest Moon popped my otome cherry too. A cherry as big as my head! *ahem* Another Wonderful Life had the worst bachelors to pick from. Not just looks wise either, but in personality. Not to mention the guys (despite whatever it was they did before you were married) became stay at home dads. The raising your kid part was super neat though but done a bit better by Rune Factory 2 where (after you abandon your wife a kids) you actually get to play as your child trying to find you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always picked the hippy with the ginormous nose just because his kid was the cutest. I heard in Harvest Moon DS Cute you can date Griffin. Just ew. I might get it for the secret character though T_T.

    ReplyDelete